Sunday, July 30, 2006

Mersey Roads 24 hour

Firstly I would like to start off by offering my deepest congratulations to both Stuart and Ben for completing the Austrian Ironman in such impressive times. Truly an outstanding acheivement for you both.
Back to the title subject. I was amazed at how much preparation is involved in the weeks leading up to an event of this nature. Advice was sought from club members some of whom had done this event before and to who I am most indebted. Never having even been to such an event let alone helped in one was a huge handicap for me. My main concern was if things turned nasty how would I inspire Chrystal to carry on or should she even carry on! Pete M's advice was especially helpful " Don't let her pack just talk to her, let her rest, then try to coax her to ride for just a bit longer".
Then we had to decide what food to take along. We bought soft white bread rolls (easy to digest) with various fillings. My mum made some rice pie with lemon (a bit different). I spoke with Keith Butler whose son Gethin has ridden it before. He said Gethin ate cold sausages in long events as they have a high fat content which provides the body with a good source of slow release energy. Energy drink with protein and the obligatory bars, gels and coke were also packed. The most invaluable product, though, was the Lavazza arabica coffee which even keeps me awake!
The bike was prepared by Rohan at Cycles Dauphin who checked it over adding new transmission, tyres and tri bars.
We talked Ann Bath into joining us for the journey and Rachel C came along as co helper. The four of us and four bikes (a spare each) set off on the saturday of the race at 6.30 am. There had been thunderstorms and heavy rain during the night which didn't bode very well, but when we arrived at the Farndon HQ it was hot and sunny. Sign on, tyres pumped final bike check, final bits of advice and before you knew it it was time for the off.
Ann off first with Chrystal following about 30mins later. The course comprises two circuits, Quina Brook (12miles) and Prees Island and back (40 miles). They started off on the longer circuit which gave me and Rachel time to pitch Ann's tent (thank god for Rachel, I was never a boy scout) and put her supplies into it, buy a bucket, sponge and soap which we had forgotten and have something to eat. From a helpers perspective you think you will be kicking your heels most of the time but in truth you're always thinking 'do they need us' so you are driving around most of the time. Including the journey there and back we drove over 700miles.
We found Chrystal about 3 hours after the start and pulled in to replenish fluids and take on food. "I'm knackered already!" were her first words. Not good but she looked in good spirits. Clouds had drawn in obscuring the beating sun which was a relief for everyone. Within an hour the clouds had darkened and it belted down for a spell , water lying on the road surface made going hard. We passed Ann who raised a troubled hand, we stopped further down the road to find that her righthand gear cable had snapped. A quick change of bikes and she was on her way again.
After 6 hours they changed to the shorter circuit, much easier to keep track of them. Chrystal stopped at about 8pm for her first change of clothes, wash, bike check and off. I don't think the whole process took longer than 10mins.
Back on the long circuit after about 10 hours. 40 miles of largely unlit road proved very challenging. Both ladies brought along powerfull lights, an absolute must. They stayed on this circuit throughout the night. We saw Chrystal at various points but Ann only twice as she had supplies in the tent. It was very hard to recognise anyone on the dark roads. Ann stopped for a sleep at some point. She lay by the side of the road near the feed station and someone threw a blanket over her. Strong coffee came into play for both of them during the night and for the helpers too. I slept for about 2 hours and Rachel for not much longer.
Daybreak and it almost felt cold, there were a few clouds in the sky but no threat of rain. More coke, food and water. Chrystal looks to be struggling a bit, I try to raise her spirits "The worst's over you can do it now!" but she doesn't seem to be responding. More Coffee. Ann going well.
Transfer back to short circuit. Rachel takes car to check progress while I prepare porridge for Chrystal. She returns, news is not good, She doesn't seem to recognise Rachel. My phone rings Chrystal has stopped she is struggling badly, wants us to go to her. I tell her to get back to us and rest here. Me and Rachel are worried, how bad is she? I take Chrystal's spare bike from the car and send Rachel to her with an energy gel. Ann going well. Chrystal arrives after 15mins very tired. She has porridge and more coffee and I tell her to just spin low gears and coast down hills. After only 20mins rest feels able to carry on. When we see her again she has found a new lease of life and I worry that she will blow.
Transfer to finishing circuit. I leave Rachel to pack up the tent and other things and follow in the car. Chrystal is going like a train, Ann begins to suffer. I pass food up to Chrystal, Ann stops for fizzy water and strawberries and rice pie. Not long now. I return to pick up Rachel and the things so we can both watch the girls finish. However, I have miscalculated how far away the finishing circuit is from Prees island where we pitched the tent and it takes an age to get there and back.
We return and find Ann almost immediately and watch her finish triumphantly. Get her into the car, bike racked and off to find Chrystal. Fifteen minutes later we still haven't found her but we know she has finished. At the HQ there she is bright as a lark(does that sound right?).
Chrystal has ridden 339.11 miles and Ann 335.47 miles (if only you'd had another cup of my coffee Ann). Both girls rode superbly and I congratulate them both. There are no winners or losers in an event such as this, just making it to the finish is a great acheivement!
I felt greatly involved in the race throughout the whole 24 hours! I think from a helpers viewpoint it was the most enjoyable event I have ever been to and consider myself priveliged to have assisted Chrystal and Ann.


Joe B.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Joe for a really good report i said it would be a day to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good write up. I really enjoyed reading it. It brought the race to life and lets prospective 24 hourers see what its all about ! Well done Ann Chrystal Joe and Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really well written report, Joe. It has definitely convinced me that I never want to do a 24 hour but would certainly consider helping out at one from what you have written.
    A huge well done to both Epic Ann and Chrystal. What you both did was amazing. A real achievement. Chapeau to you both!

    ReplyDelete