Sunday, July 13, 2008

Eve 10#6 - apology

Sorry folks, to anyone who did go out to Holmwood on Wednesday night.

With all of the fuss around "elf & safety" we can no longer afford to start an event in the sort of rain that was coming down for almost the whole day on Wednesday - at least in the various places I was! - in case someone gets flattened by a car driver who can't see through his wind-screen and/or considers "spray" to be an adequate excuse for not seeing a poor bedraggled rider in front of him.

It's sad really, because there can be quite fast conditions when it is wet.

The other consideration was that Inholm's Lane car park is getting to be a bit of a nightmare in the wet, with all of the pot holes.

I understood that Frank had sent an email to most folks by early afternoon when I was at the dentist. My plan had been to go to Dorking from there, until the weather intervened, and the motorway was pretty bad going home so that I didn't get in again until 16:30. I had thought of putting up a message here about the cancellation, but my internet access has been iffy all week and I didn't manage to post anything until after there was no longer any point.

For the future, I think it is safe to consider that an event might be cancelled when heavy rain is forecast (and especially when it's coming down). When it rains all afternoon it is wise to check with Frank what the situation is. But if rain is only forecast and/or coming down intermitantly, we will assess the situation out on the course very shortly before the event.

Once again sorry if anyone was intrepid enough to head out to Holmwood looking for an event.

Lisa

3 comments:

  1. I was one of two people (I think the guy in the Land Rover next to me was a Wheelers TT'er) to make it down there. It was obvious it had been cancelled by the absence of cars in the car park! I did toy with the idea of riding the course, but the weather worsened - and I determined that discretion was the better part of valour......

    Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    To comment further, I did call Frank several times (and you at work-busy) and eventualy found out that the "10" was cancelled and I blogged it at 16.49hr on the 9th. I know that Steve Hillier noticed my blog but did not beleive it. He thought I was trying to win the handicap! How many others read I do not know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, (and anyone else)

    I have been working from home on race days this year - early start, early finish to come over to Holmwood - and additionally I had a dentist appointment that afternoon, just to confuse things further. So I didn't get your message until the Thursday; the answerphone at work kicks in after 3 rings regardless.
    Anyone needing to contact me during the day should ring my mobile - if I can't answer immediately, I get to learn that you were after me much sooner that way.

    Obviously we need to formalise the early cancellation of an event due to bad weather, so people know the situation.

    It has crept up on us, because previously we would just have got wet, but now we have to consider "Health and Safety".

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete