Monday, August 21, 2006

ECCA 12hr - Provisional Result

215 Andy Avis
212 Jake Dodd
204 Brian Powney
195 Grant Pyke
187 Ann Bath
175 Lisa Colombo

How hard was that?
Well we had a hard day for it alright. The wind was very strong, although the rest of the weather wasn't too bad with warm sushine in between the occasional heavy showers. At the start they were handing out a second set of numbers to those riders that wanted an extra number to put on the rain-gear.......

Actually the HQ was positively buzzing at 5am, with someone making tea for the riders (and anyone else) before the start - not something I think I've ever come across before, even last year at this event. The morning was not overcast enough for there to be a delay so we were off on time. Well I - and probably everyone else - felt really good for the first 25 miles. And then we turned into the headwind! 22 miles back into quite a strong wind knocked the stuffing out of many of us.

Brian was the first to catch me, coming by before we'd even left the A14 on the northern leg, he was going well and taking full advantage of the tailwind - and holding it for a pretty strong 2:23 for 50 miles. Ann came by immediately after Brian, but then she didn't actually go away from me and I was intrigued at the way she seemed to be fidgetting all over the bike - the sort of thing I was doing 10 & 1/2 hours later when I had run out of comfy spots on the saddle. I was settled on the tri-bars and felt smooth and had no trouble going back past her again, but obviously - if she'd caught me for 2 mins - she would come by again shortly, and so she did. She certainly seemed to be trying a lot harder than I was - that's probably why she goes faster than me!!!
An hour later and Jake came steaming past, riding smoothly and strongly into the headwind. Down to Fourwentways and what a relief to turn with the wind behind again for the long hike North. (O.K, and East!). Somewhere along here Andy came past with a much too cheerful comment and I tried hard to keep the speed up with the benefit of the wind. Onto the A14 and then I'd swear I saw the A11 signed and followed the left lane off. Round the stupid helper's car stopped in the way and "hang on a minute, this isn't the A11! ********* (fill in your own expletive), now what?" It didn't look like a straightforward up-and-over junction so I hopped off the bike and legged it back down the grass and back onto the A14. Grant came past while I was doing the cross-country bit. Why? I'd been up there only 3 hours earlier. I think "away with the fairies "covers it. Ask any of the 6 of us what we were thinking about for 12 hours yesterday.

The car was checking us through at the Red Lodge turn - good stopping spot to feed - and I got the bottle that I'd declined earlier. So I was already drinking less than anticipated.....
Oh joy! another 22 miles into the teeth of a headwind. 4 hours done and 70 miles covered. Ah yes, and another 16 miles to go till I join the Six Mile Bottom circuit. The relief to turn at Fourwentways again, over the level crossing and onto the circuit with 86 miles under the belt.

Oops the car is the wrong side of the 100 mile point, but it didn't matter on this circuit. Pass the 100 mile timekeeper for the first time - 88 miles covered and a 12 mile lap to go to get the 100 mile time. By now my rear mech was very sluggish - I assume a new gear cable had stretched. Problem: I like to try to ride to 100 miles without stopping, for the split times; but the car has the spanner to allow me to re-tighten the cable and they are just before the 100 miles point. I won't be doing another lap of this circuit, so I need to fix the gear now. The climbing, going north on the circuit is helped by the tailwind, the south-westerley diagonal is a battle with the wind, and then some respite as we turn east and finally descend to the start of the circuit. Andrew H is there with the camera, a pleasure to see a familiar face.
Approaching 6 hours for the 100, I succumb and stop by the car for the spanner. While I'm there I massage the legs with Deep Freeze gel as the pre-cramp spasms have already started in the thighs. Simon digs out some sausages for me and I take bites from the packet in his hand whilst still massaging my legs - taking care not to bite his fingers! Perhaps I should have fed myself and got him to massage the gel in!!!!
The rain had been occasional spots (for me at least) up to that point, but whilst at the car it tipped it down briefly. Now sodden, I put on Simon's club gilet over my racing vest - borrowed so that the number could be seen from under it - and on my way again.
Another stagger round that circuit and then the bit I didn't relish: back south to Fourwentways and beyond - around 5 miles - and then a right turn onto the A505 and around 10 miles to the Royston turn - all into the wind. By now the sun was out, and the day warming nicely - however there were still to be some heavy showers on the unlucky riders and helpers. Not far along the A505 Simon & Jen were in a layby with the chairs out enjoying a coffee. I stopped. "Is there anything you want?" "Yes, I want to stop."
Trouble was I was committed to making up the team for the Ladies Team Record. All we needed to do was finish 3 Ladies - in the same 12hr event. The club's been around 70 years, it's about time we set a 12hr Team Record. All I had to do was get to the finishing circuit. Once all three of us were on the finishing circuit we had the record, but for me that was still best part of 30 miles away.
I sat down, I stretched my legs, I drank some of Jen's coffee, I dumped my sleeves on them and then I got back on the bike. As I rode on, I thought of a comment made on holiday earlier in the year. Some of the group did an evening detour, with an extra 500m of climbing in about 5 miles to a ski station - with a 12 mile descent back down and then on to the hotel, afterward - 8 of us did it, most of the others frantically offloading panniers to their partners to limit the weight. I rode up there with my full holiday load. I met most of the others on their way back down while I was still clambering up. I anticipated climbing up until I met our friend PeteH on his way back down and then turning round. When I finally got there, there were two bikes left: PeteH's and Terry (Terry from the Midweek Section). My line was "I thought you'd have moved off by now". The reply - "Well, I knew if we waited here long enough you'd turn up"
Those words rang in my ears as I staggered toward Royston - it's not easy trying to freewheel into a headwind on the flat. I think I was doing about 10mph along there. Over the motorway junction, past Duxford airfield - they've built a hanger for the Concorde there, shame I was looking forward to seeing her - and on, and on. Past the layby where I expected Pete to be - although someone else's helper WAS there. I was getting more and more tired and demoralised because the car was not where I had expected them to be. Finally I stopped and dug something else to eat out of my pocket, before the final stagger up the hill and then the drop to the RAB at the Royston turn. I got on again and there was the ****** car at the top of the hump. (Note to 12/24hr helpers - you will ALWAYS get something wrong in the eyes of your rider - somewhere during the day!)
I rolled up and stopped again. The answer to the inevitable question was the same: "I want to stop, pack, give up and go home. I've had enough. I'm not enjoying this."
Another sit-down. More of Andy's coke (thanks for bringing so much, but next time I don't think you actually need to empty Tesco), some quiche, more gel rub - on my back this time, and off again. Obviously refreshed after the stop, a nice freewheel to the RAB, a slight shock that the marshals have gone - O.K., by now it was 14:15 and I'd seen the last of the field headed the other way 20 minutes or more ago - I knew it was the turn, no question, even though the turn sign had been blown in on itself and was pretty unreadable. It was more of a shock to turn and see no.1 coming the other way - turns out he'd inadvertently taken himself off to the finishing circuit somewhat too soon and done ~5 miles of course, and it was his helper waiting patiently where Pete was supposed to have been - not knowing if he'd ridden the course before I frantically made turn signals at him as he went the other way and shouted "no marshals", although I don't suppose he heard. The lack of marshal didn't bother me too much, but I was concerned that we would be missing from the check that proved we had made it to the turn.
Revitalised by the tailwind I bombed along back toward Duxford - 22mph rather than the 10mph the other way.
Onto the afternoon/Fowlmere circuit, another brief stop by the car - I'd unloaded my pockets a bit too much at the previous stop. I knew I would only be doing the one lap of this circuit, but Pete was unconvinced and trying to keep track of 4 riders. Another nice descent, coming onto very wet roads - I'm glad I missed the downpour that caused that - and sadly another left turn into the wind for the long diagonal of the circuit. Jake came by again, still steaming along. Past the gang sat at the table outside the pub, I caught a flash of the Phoenix tops there and spotted Andrew's brother Neil; past the campsite that Ann, Steve, Simon & Jen stayed at. The Shaftesbury CC were providing water & sponges on this stretch and as I battled into the wind I thought that there wasn't much need for them to run to hand bottles & sponges as the riders probably weren't going too fast here.
Another left turn and back onto the A505 with the tailwind. It struck me that this time it was much harder to steam along this bit. Stopped at the lights outside Duxford again. Grant caught me here, again. Over the motorway again. Past the left turn into the Fowlmere circuit - actually I didn't plan to turn down there again, whatever the marshals indicated - fortunately they indicated straight on and I nodded gratefully. 150 miles covered and I was heading for the first timekeeper on the circuit (timekeeper 0!), with about 2 hours to go.
That first timekeeper is the golden target, get to him and you are guaranteed not to be DNF whatever happens after. As it happens, on this course, you actually join the "finishing circuit" before you reach timekeeper 0, so you pass timekeepers 6 & 7 before you are officially on the circuit. Timekeeper 6 smiled at me as I passed, I imagined him amused that I was freewheeling on this slightly downhill stretch with the wind behind. On to timekeeper 0: that's it I will definitely finish now, I've made my contribution to the Team Record. I have a big smile on my face. Are the other two on the finishing circuit yet or still lapping on the Fowlmere circuit? I pass the Addiscombe crowd and shout out: "are the other 2 girls on the circuit yet?" but Linda isn't sure.
The Phoenix are in the same place as last year on the finishing circuit, near the top of the Little Chesterford leg. It is a good spot as they see us going down and then coming back out again. Last year Ann & I both finished at the timekeeper just before the car, and it's very handy for the HQ after. On the first time past I stop for more massage cream. They have seen Jake on the circuit, but not Ann yet - that would be ironic after all of this if Ann had a problem and didn't get to the finish. As I come out of the leg I cross with Ann going down: that's it, we've set the record - now we are just taking it higher until we run out time and settle on a total.
There are people handing up water and sponges around the circuit, I usually take whatever is offered - on principal - if they are standing helping I will make use of their efforts, but this year I am too knackered. I am torn between wanting it to end and - now looking at the possible distance from my mileometer - trying to cover at least 175 miles. That is beginning to sound a respectable distance.
I pass timekeeper no.6 again, freewheeling with the wind behind again, over the railway bridge and on to no.7. Rosemary has come out after work to cheer us (mostly brother, Brian) on and is stopped in the layby where no.7 timekeeper is. I shout to her that we have finally set the Team Record (this has been in the planning for 20 years, since Rosemary's day - we just couldn't manage 3 of us in the same event until now). Over the hump, that has now become a mountain, before the A11 junction, past timekeeper 0, on past the Addiscombe, where Linda shouts that all three of us (girls) are on the circuit and I reply "Club Ladies Team Record."
I'm lapping slower than last year and I'm beginning to think that I will finish on the opposite side of the circuit to the support team. I pass them again - without stopping for a change - the end must be in sight! It's suddenly occurred to me that I'm not sure how accurate the mileometer is and that I need to do more than 175 on that to be safe. There is a tailwind back past the car, and then a mile or so going North. I have less than 10 minutes to go, I plan to stop at timekeeper no.5 who is sited just to the left of the RAB where I have to turn into the wind again: but no, I have cocked it up I didn't start at 05:30, it was 05:34, there is four extra minutes for me to turn into the wind and climb toward the small RAB before the motorway. I clamber over the railway again, trying harder than I have for some hours, desperately trying to reach the next timekeeper. Time runs out 30 secs before the turn and then I sprint downhill with the wind behind to timekeeper no.6. I wonder if that amused him - if I'd tried a little harder when I passed him previously I would have reached him as I ran out time, rather than after. As I sprint I catch sight of my car, loaded with bikes as it has been all day, coming the other way.
I sit up for the final yards past the timekeeper - who I recognise from last year, but who doesn't have a number by his car - and give him the thumbs up and he nods to me. Gratefully I coast round the corner and then swing up the road to the left, Joe finished here last time we helped him in a 12, and we know there is somewhere to stop safely and load up.
I drop the bike and stagger across the road to the central refuge so that Pete can see as early as possible to turn in, I assumed that he wouldn't know that I had seen them coming the other way. He turns in and a black car goes left after him, I look at the traffic and stagger back across the road. Pete is hesitating before finishing the virtual 'U' turn into the parking spot, I assume he has got the gear wrong as he doesn't drive it that often, but it turns out that as he swung wide to make the turn to the left the black car has shot past on his inside and ALMOST caused an accident.
Pete is desperate to ride somewhere and offers to ride the bike back to the HQ, Jackie is encouraged to join him - leaving me with space in the car for ONE of the other riders - the car is so stuffed with food and wheels that they wouldn't have had room to scoop any of us up during the day if necessary.
While we unload Jackie's bike, Andy goes the other way so we shout to him, he gesticulates back - I'm not quite sure whether he hadn't quite run out time, or was just very confused by the fact that not all the timekeepers had numbers on display and not all of them necessarily looked like timekeepers if you didn't ride last year. On the other hand he has won the ticket for a lift back to the HQ, as he came along before I went looking for Grant.
We get back to the HQ and I am relieved to see that Grant and Jake are already there, sparing me the need to go looking for them.

I reckon all 6 of us deserve a pat on the back for finishing on a hard, windy day.

There was further good news at the result board. Jake won the prize for fastest woman. Grant came second in the event handicap. And the 3 VTTA members (Ann, Jake & Grant) won the award for the vets team on Standard. (And the Addiscombe were celebrating winning the team award in the event from API).

Next year has got to be easier......


Lisa


3 comments:

  1. Well done to all of you. Defo a year for momentous rides!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my 1st 12 for 10 years and i only go 1 mile slower so i am well pleased. i felt realy good and enjoyed it so much i cant wait till next year to do better!
    All my cold winter miles paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing but admiration for all the rides but particularly Jake's.

    I became worn out just reading Lisa's report

    ReplyDelete