Thursday, September 25, 2014

Cranks - do you have the correct length?


I'm on holiday for a few days at home so I thought that I would share something with you.

A few weeks ago one of my brake/gear levers broke, so I decided to check the rest of the bike before I ordered replacements. I found that my chain had stretched so it needed to be replaced. The teeth on some of the gears had become hooked in shape due to wear so I decided that the cassette and two of the three chainrings needed replacing. I then thought about whether I should change the lengths of the cranks rather than just the two chainrings. Well after doing some research I found a very thorough explanation prepared by a bike fitter which provided me with some useful guidance and recommendations for the correct crank lengths in respect of different height riders. His article includes the results from several researchers and also feedback from Graeme O'Bree. I hope you find this useful too together with the case studies as it will give you something to consider when you next change your chainrings.

Click here to read the article: Fitting Guide for cranks

So I have now shortened my cranks from 170mm to 165mm. Clearly the saddle will need to be heightened as the maximum distance from the saddle to the pedal is now shorter. This will affect my riding position as the saddle is now higher than the handlebars so I will let you know over the next few weeks if I find it more or less comfortable and if I now fly up the hills more easily.

If anyone has any opinions please comment below.



No comments:

Post a Comment