Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Austrian Ironman Report

Is hard to report on how a race of that duration went, as over such a long time you're bound to have many high points as well as many low ones. In a nutshell (will probably still go on a bit, but I'll try and keep it brief) here's my first Ironman...

Location - Klagenfurt is in SE Austria, right on the border of Slovenia (actually we flew into SL). It's in the eastern alps and is really spectacular. The city is very pretty, with wide pedestrian streets and beautiful buildings - defo worth a holiday there. The race is centred around Lake Worthersee, which is a stunning turquoise lake with unbroken mountain backdrop.

We were lucky to get into a hotel very near the race start, on the side of the lake (I booked over a year in advance). Only downer were the trains that ran right passed the door, but you gradually heard them less and less :-) The balcony view of the lake + 500m walk to race start were defo a bonus.

On the days building up to the race we had a brief dip in the lake which was lovely and left me feeling confident for the swim. Also the transition and race finish were all built during this time so we were able to familiarise ourselves there. The finishing strip is quite a sight and we walked the last 100m, but none of us would cross under the timer (ie: through the finishing gantry) for fear of bad luck.

The final day was for race briefing, racking of bikes, preparing the tonne of race food & drinks and generally trying to keep occupied :-). Race night I didn't really sleep at all, which was pretty much expected, but I was confident that I'd be ok as I'd slept fine the night before.
The hotel opened brekky at 4am, and there were a number of us waiting at the door :-) I managed to get down some muesli, yogurt and power bar before returning to our room for shower, sun cream and Vaseline. Heart rate monitor on, timing chip on, tri-suit on and down to the start with swim bag and last bike bits.

We got to the transition around 6am and it was buzzing with activity. Everyone had their last minute checks to do: Pump tyres, food and drinks on bike, check bike over. Drinks & food in run bag. Wetsuit on, and down to the beach (the freshwater lake had a nice beach from which we were to start.) The sun was rising over the lake and it was going to be a beautiful day. The atmosphere was really building - 2,500 athletes, swim hats on, goggles in place, 10's of thousands of supporters making an unreal racket, music & the p.a. system blaring out, 4 helicopters buzzing overhead, 1 hot air balloon, 1 turn buoy over a mile in the distance, 1 cannon and.... boom we were off.

Swim - 2.4 miles (3,800m): 1:15:01
We swam out between piers crammed with supporters, it's a mess of white water and noise, the best plan is to swim fast and straight, and to hope you don't get swum over or kicked too much. I followed a pretty good line and stuck with a solid group of swimmers to the first turn buoy. Sighting towards the next buoy was into the rising sun and many of us struggled with direction for a bit, I was sticking to the plan of keeping loads-a-swimmers of the right and loads-a-swimmers on the left. This seems to work pretty well and after a while my shoulder started to ache - a sure sign that we were getting close. Sure enough, a last buoy pointed the direction of the Lendle canal: The swim in Ironman Austria has the unusual attraction of finishing it's last 900m along a canal. Although this is shallow and narrow, resulting is more congestion, it's worth it as the crowds line both side and the bridges over - a great boost. Finally the finishing ramp arrived and the helpers dragged me out, tired, but happy that I'd soon be on my bike.

Transition1 - 0:02:49
I had planned for slow steady transitions, as it's a long day and the last thing you need is to make a silly mistake here. In fact I was pretty slick, considering that you had to... run from the canal into change area, grab bike bag from the bag racks, into change tent, wetsuit, hat & goggles off, number belt on, helmet & sunglasses on, stuff bag, run to bike racks, find bike, push bike to mounting point and away.
Yet again the support here was astonishing, I did hear my name against the din but failed to look high enough to spot Amanda & Nic on top of the huge framework they'd climbed to give us all a shout :-).

Bike - 112 miles (180 kms): 5:22:28
I was off onto the bike and was looking forward to regaining some off the time & positions I'd lost in the water. The link to the main roads wound through several hundred meters of paths which were lined solid with supporters. This was fun but slow, so I used the time to slip my feet into my cycle shoes. Finally we were onto the road and I could get up to speed and start what was to be a stream of overtaking.

The bike is a 2 lap course. The first 25k of the lap are very fast, flat roads along the side of lake Worthersee, then a loop over the mountains past another small lake, this joins a larger loop, back over the mountains and back round to the start. The roads are all smooth, running through many lovely villages. Support again was astonishing with all the villages turning out onto the roads. With the roads closed for the day, many villages had taken the opportunity to have a street party and the sound of music was very encouraging. The 2 big climbs were an experience in themselves - spectators filled the road only parting as you approached them ! And the roads themselves were covered in messages of encouragement.

I rode a little harder than planned over the 1st 90k lap, (2hrs 31mins), and had to slow a bit over the 2nd lap. The climbs felt easier than expected the first time round, but I think a lot of that was the atmosphere, as they were a lot bigger the 2nd time !! By the end of the ride I was struggling and was quite uncomfortable. Although I'd eaten about my planned 350 cal/hr, I was having trouble digesting the food and was starting to get some pretty bad stomach cramps. I was also having the expected shoulder and back pain from being tucked on aero-bars for five and a half hours. Basically, I was really looking forward to getting off the bike, even if it was to run a marathon!!

Transition2 - 0:04:44
A brief toilet break slowed my 2nd transition, but I was still happy to get through without any muscle cramps in the change from bike to run. I was starting the run with some serious worries about my guts & feeding plan, but otherwise very happy to be into the run in just under 6hrs 45m (well inside my time goal of 7hrs for this stage)

Run - 26.2 miles (42.2 kms): 4:04:57
The first few kilometres were really ugly as I tried to carry on feeding at my planned rate, but with stomach cramps worsening, I knew something would have to give. So at around the 10k mark I ditched my electrolyte drinks and switched to water + gels, it took another 10k but this did the trick and by half marathon stage my stomach had settled and I was running at a pretty reasonable rate. The run route is 2 laps, each lap consisting of 2 out and back legs of about 10k. The 1st leg goes along the lakeside and the 2nd follows the canal into the centre of Klagenfurt. Yet again the supporters were out in force, there were over 100,000 spectators over the whole day, and they made so much noise it felt like even more! I ran through the hottest part of the day and was very grateful for the aid stations every 3k (giving out water, coke, energy drink, sponges, oranges pieces etc etc). Between these 3k stations, many of the hundreds of supporters had set up their own support along the route (in the form of sponges, hose pipes and even water pistols!!). The sound of music and cheering along the way made a massive difference to a very very tough run.
I passed halfway in a pretty reasonable 2hrs 06min and very soon I was starting to crumble again, this time a ditched the gel & water plan and moved to coke (great sugar & caffeine boost quickly followed by a massive caffeine and sugar low - or more coke !!). I knew it was a big gamble to switch so early but I felt much better straight way.
At about the same time I met up with another English guy and we ran together at a much improved pace. I was confident that I couldn't maintain this pace to the end, but felt that every mile closer would shorten the walk when my body finally clapped out !! We agreed to walk every aid to ensure that we'd take on sufficient calories and fluid. Getting started again, each time, after just a brief walk, was really hard as my legs were ready to stiffen up for good. Also, the coke hadn't been flattened so I was a bit sick each time I started running again, but we did manage to keep it up and I surprised myself by maintaining the improved pace for the penultimate 10k loop. Every bit of path and every yelling supporter was being passed for the last time now. I knew that we had only the final 10k loop to run before the finish.
It was at this stage that I almost lost focus. I had the sudden realisation that I was going to make it, and at this pace I would be under 11 hours, a quick memory flash of the cold wet Tuesday evening runs, of the 100 mile rides to Bognor in the snow, I had a tear in my eye and could hear the finishing strip. I was heading to the finish and I started to pick up the pace but this was last 6 miles miles of 140.6 and I knew that I had to keep myself reigned in. We had to head away from the finish before we could return for the final time. So no speeding up, no slowing down, at this stage the slightest change could result in muscles seizing up.
The last 10k was a real fight, but I knew I just had to plug on and it would eventually be over. So, cap down, ignore those around me and withdraw into my 'hurt box'. (Sorry to those who receive no reply to shouts of encouragement over this last hour!!)

Finish - 10:49:59
As we turned off the canal for the final time, we had only a km or so to go, the path wound through picnicking supporters all still as vocal as they were first thing in the morning. Now I was vocal too and I was slapping the hands of kids and cheering back. I knew it would be over soon and I was floating on the atmosphere. It sounds ridiculous but those who were there will agree how special the crowds were. Up to the lake and this time left to the finish. Before the final shoot, we ran 100m along the side of the lake; here the crowds were many deep and I high fived everyone as I ran along (even Graham without knowing it!). Last turn and I heard my name over the PA. The clock was straight ahead... 10:49... I couldn't believe it. I still have goose bumps thinking about it now. There must have been a thousand spectators just here, and the noise was amazing. Luckily my cap was there to hide the old 'grit in the eye' - it was over and I was on top of the world.

It was only a matter of seconds before my legs seized and I could no longer walk, but that was fine. For about 4 days I really struggled to go downstairs !! The course, the spectators, the venue, the scenery were all outstanding. I've done a lot of triathlons over the last 4 years, but this was leagues above any of them, a completely different race. I'm an ironman now, but it wasn't done alone; I had fantastic support throughout a very long day from my mum & Graham, my in-laws Ann & John, Nic, Mel and, of course, Amanda who not only supported me during the race but also put up with my absence during the 6hr training sessions, long evening runs and 5am swim training, over the last year. (not to mention the incessant ironman related conversation!!)

I'm really please to say that Ben, Chris, Adam & Steve all also finished, which is a credit to the hard work we've all put in, and the respect that we've each had for the race. A respect that was proven to be well founded by the hundreds of serious athletes stretchered into the medical tent while I was waiting by the finish. (looked like something from a war zone). I've heard said that you become an ironman at 5am whilst running in the snow many months before the event. Now I know this is absolutely true, the race day is just the culmination of a year's effort.

We all stayed around to cheer in as many athletes as we could. At midnight the race finish closes and those last few ironmen got the biggest cheer of all - accompanied with the pom-pom girls, blaring PA, flame throwers, fireworks. Anyone who finishes the 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 mile run in under the 17 hour cut-off is in no doubt that they are an Ironman !!

Stuart

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Stuart for a most interesting insite into an Iron Man event

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow I am so impressed with you both ! This sounds like the hardest race anyone can do.Your times for each stage where very good if you had just done only one.
    The write up was brilliant too, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete