Friday, January 22, 2010

A new cycle route planner

I have found a new route planner on the web called cyclestreets. It is easy to use and allows you to enter a street name for start and end of the journey and then it offers three routes, fastest, quietest and balanced. For my route to work it suggests taking 1 hour 42 min's....which is a little generous. It tells me the route is very hostile... well it does go past some streets of recent gun crimes. It also shows how many traffic lights are on the route and assumes that I stop at all of them.... which is of course true officer.

The screenshots show a green route (quiet), red (fastest) and yellow for balanced. The quietest route includes footpaths and footbridges, and goes around the houses taking 2 and a half hours and an extra 2 miles. You can zoom in on the map and it also generates a street by street itinerary, which will probably add an extra to my journey if I stopped at each junction to read them.




No comments:

Post a Comment