Sunday, January 24, 2010

South Downs Way

Hi All

SOUTH DOWNS WAY, WINCHESTER TO EASTBOURNE (MTB)100 MILES

Is anyone interested in joining me on a ride over the South Downs Way? The ride is over the weekend of 26/27 June 2010. Also had a suggestion that (if wanted) could stay overnight at Winchester on the Friday for a fresh start the following morning.

First day - start at 9.00 am with elevenses/lunch at Queen Elizabeth Country Club, which is approx. 20 miles from Winchester. Then onto Arundel for an overnight stop at the youth hostel; this is about half way (50 miles). The youth hostel seems to have plenty of ammenities and is only a short distance from the town. A beer or two may be called for!

Second day - back on the Downs and onwards to Eastbourne. Truleigh Hill Youth Hostel is on the Downs for the second day, where I'm sure we could refill water bottles etc.

There are train services to Winchester, and Eastbourne to London. Not sure at the moment how many bikes these services carry. If the numbers are looking good, and I could find a willing driver who wouldn't mind driving the bikes to Winchester and back from Eastbourne by van (which I will look into), then this will ease the possible problems on the trains. The driver we are looking for is someone who would be interested in joining us for the weekend, and assist the ride etc. Do you know of anybody who might be interested? I would be willing to pay for their accommodation and meals.I rode the SDW about 10 years ago over 2 days and do remember the fantastic riding and scenery, but quite a good challenge!

If you are interested in going or would like more information, please email me at atpearce@hotmail.co.uk

P.S. Would like to book up accommodation as soon as possible, so let me know as soon as you can. Cost is around £25 each, slightly less if you are a member.

Happy muddy, wet, slippery riding! Come June - it'll be blazing sun (who said that?)!

Andy P

4 comments:

  1. Accomodation needs to be booked as soon as possible

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, despite my broken arm/shoulder I managed to strugle to get to Wetherspoons in Redhill, by bus and meet Bob Starey and Will Almond who went off-road via N. Downs Way on M.T.B's. What a wonderful sunset tonight. Bob in particular would be interested and possibly Will. Can you let me have your phone etc.I shall be away until 25 June in Devon and may like to join you in Arundel for Sat night. you can email mike morley5@btinternet.com or phone 01737 816160.For your further info YHA have emailed me to say that up untill end March they are doing bednights at £9.95. Bob and I along with Ray Dare stayed at the new YHA Eastborne in May last year. Very clean and solid but not much character. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy, Just to let you know, I have just noticed that Sunday 27 June is SCCU 50 and no doubt a few of KPRC may ride that including myself if I'm fit enough. I also note that its KPRC 10ml Champ on 23June and Kingston Worthing on Sun 20th June both of which I shall miss as I'm in Croyde with my family and hope to ride the Tarqua Trail. Have you or anyone ever ridden that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy I am interested but Jan is keen to get me away for a two week holiday and my weekend calendar is quickly getting filled with rides. So I will confirm when I know more.

    I mentioned the ride to my friend who lives in Winchester and he would be interested in joining us. He has done the first half by catching a train to Arundel and then taking two days to get back to Winchester on the bikes. I think he and his friends were keen to have a boys weekend away!

    ReplyDelete